Saturday 7 April 2018

Aunt Makes Me A Lady part 1

can't really believe I am going to do this what am I thinking?
I'm now sitting in the waiting area of the `Gala hair salon' in a small West Country town. My heart is pounding and my stomach is in a tight knot. I keep running my fingers through my long hair it feels like silk as I wear it down for one last time, I can see my self in the mirror opposite my hair looks beautiful against the prim white round neck blouse I'm wearing and my navy pleated knee length skirt doesn't look at all out of place in this salon. I give my head a slight shake from side to side and watch how my hair moves around me, but not for that much longer.
Aunt is sat next to me here to instruct the hairdresser what will be done to me I'm just to nervous to speak. I look down at the grey lino on the floor there are worn areas around the chairs and the harsh strip lighting shows how the ageing wall paper is well past its best, the air is thick with the smell of lacquer perm and setting lotion and the thick net curtains covering the window on my right hand side look off white and a bit dusty as if they've been up for years. On my left is a row of four hood dryers the seats sag slightly from years of use. There's a back wash sink squeezed into the corner with a shower head and black chair. Straight in front of me in this almost square room are two chairs with shelves in front of them fixed to the wall covered with brushes combs and scissors surprisingly there are electric hair clippers hanging from a hook, both chairs have trolleys by them with boxes on them with hair rollers and perm rod of various sizes spilling out, two round mirrors are fixed to the wall and in the seat on the left sits a elderly lady who's precisely set white hair is being sprayed with old fashioned lacquer in a plastic bottle by the hairdresser.
My Aunt has already told me that mrs Hood is doing me a great favour as she doesn't take on many new clients nowadays, she's quite a tall almost stern looking women who looks to be in her late sixty's with tight permed iron grey hair ,wearing a pink nylon overall. She puts down the bottle and the lady in the chair starts to get up `Oh my it's almost my turn'. As I sit here I think back to what's bought me to this point.
3 Months ago.I thought I had it all, there I was a 23 year old attractive woman with mid back length auburn hair, a good job, high flying boyfriend and a very desirable London address.
The problem was it was all my boyfriends the job was with his firm the flat we shared belonged to the company and when I found him cheating with some else from the office and our relationship broke down, I found my self unable to face him at work so had to resign I also found my self with nowhere to live. I moved back in with my mum for a while but space was very tight and after a few weeks of sleeping on her sofa and trying to find a job my mum came up with a suggestion.My late fathers sister ran a small shop and post office in a small village she was a little older than my mother and was now in her late sixties, she had recently been ill and had to close her shop for a while she now wanted to reopen but needed some help, mum said that she would love for me to come and stop for a while. The thought of getting away and staying in the country sounded really good and Aunt Eileen was a sweet lady always immaculately dressed and mannered. Working with her would be fun.
The arrangements were made and two days later I boarded a train and left the city behind. My problems started when I changed trains I put my quite large suitcase down as I looked up at the notice board to find were to go for my connecting train when I looked down my case had gone someone had taken my case! I reported my loss and filled in numerous forms in case it had been taken by mistake and latter turned up but some how I doubted that and was very upset luckily all my valuables were in my hand bag but all the clothes I had were what I was wearing. Having missed my first connecting train I managed to get a latter one, arriving in the nearest town with a station, I began to feel self-conscious about my clothes very low cut jeans cropped top and no bra was ok when I set off but now didn't feel right I hadn't even a jacket to slip on. Luckily there was a taxi waiting out side the station so I finally made it to my Aunts.
I was relived to reach aunt Eileen's after my upsetting incident with my suitcase, the small village she lives and has her shop in was really quiet after the city with just one road running throe the middle some cottages a church and a pub her shop was closed so I paid the taxi and knocked on the door.
Aunt Eileen answered the door and was pleased to see me. She bought me inside and hugged me and looked confused as to were my luggage was, when I started to tell her what had happened I broke down and cried and went through every thing that had happened in the last few weeks. When I pulled my self together she put her arm round me and told me "what you need my girl is a fresh start, first we'll get you washed and changed out of those cloths you've travelled in all day you'll have to lend some of my cloths as its not worth getting any new ones yet just in case your case turns up. Now we are nearly the same height I've gained a little weight over the last couple of years but I've clothes never been worn that I'm not able to fit into they should fit you fine."
I followed my Aunt up the stairs to the livening quarters above the shop she was dressed impeccably just as she always did and her hair was a perfect helmet of tight set curls, I couldn't help noticing the back of her neck her hair finished in a curled under line that started at her fringe skimmed the top of the ears and finished high on her nape under this was clean shaven. I was shown to what was to be my bedroom.
"I'm going to run you a bath you'll feel better after that, then sort you some cloths out. We'll have some dinner then later there's a social evening at the church hall it'll
Be a good opportunity for you to meet the local people."
After washing my hair and a refreshing bath my Aunt came into my bedroom with arms full of cloths "now then dear lets try some of these on, there not at all fashionable and revealing like the ones you turned up in but you may find you fit in a lot better in the village in these"
The first thing she handed me was a pair of knickers these were not like any owned they were white thick cotton and when I put them on they came up over my hips and there was a small pink bow on the front of the waist band, and had small legs they looked huge in the mirror before I had chance to say any thing I was handed a bra It was a C cup instead of my usual B but I put it on this was a very firm long line bra with 6 hooks to do up on the back my boobs looked strange to me they stuck out in front like 2 pointed cones the bra completely covered them and the shoulder strap was about an inch wide this was a real vintage piece. Then came the suspender belt my Aunt didn't like tights and thought them unhealthy. I'd never wore one of these before and wasn't sure what to do with the straps first I had to put on a pair of light tan stockings then my Aunt showed me how to attach them. I looked in the mirror did I look different to normal the stockings felt really strange at first and my boob stood out and were held firm. "The secret to any lady looking well dressed is proper foundation" announced my Aunt and handed me a silk slip. It did feel quite strange but at the same time quite pleasant may be I'd like becoming a country lady.
"Sit

down there and we'll sort your hair out" I was next told she brushed it for quite a wile I'd always liked having some one brush my hair," you've lovely soft hair" she said "used to love having mine brushed when it was long, I had beautiful waist length blonde hair when I was younger" and she when into the next room and returned with a photo album and turned to a page were there was a full length photo of her with beautiful wavy hair to her waist. "When did have it cut " I asked,
"When I was 21 I started a new job in a bank, the older lady who supervised the girls employed there didn't think my hair appropriate and sent me to a nearby hairdresser who she'd instructed in how I was to look, in those days a young lady who wanted to keep her job didn't argue." She then turned a couple of pages and there was a head and shoulder shot of her looking totally different. All of her long hair had gone and left was a very short very tight head of curls. "They called that a bubble perm and I cried for nearly a week when they first did that to me but I got used to it and never looked back after a wile". When she was talking she had pulled and pinned my hair back into a tight bun. "There that looks better" she said.My new look was finished off with a knee length, long sleeve blue dress with a high round collar and some shoes with a 1" heel. "Just a couple of finishing touches now dear" she said and a string of pearls round my neck and small pearl sleepers finished of the look "No need for tardy makeup with skin like yours" Aunt announced.
When I looked at my self in the full length mirror I was a little shocked at the change but also with my new boobs and the feel of the suspenders when I walked felt special.
May be I could get used to this.
I had a very pleasant evening meeting new people and especially meeting the vicar's assistant John who was about my age and recently qualified he looked more like a surfer than a vicar with collar length hair. I left with my Aunt then as we walked back it started to rain really heavily and we both came in with our hair dripping wet so both of us went up stairs to get ready for bed. I'd taken most of my cloths off when Aunt Eileen came in and handed me a long almost Victorian looking white night dress the same as the one she was wearing, I gave my hair a rub with a towel "If only mine was that easy to deal with, come throe to my room and you can help me out" Aunt said. I followed her in to the next bedroom on the bed was a box containing a lot of foam and plastic hair rollers my Aunt sat down at the dressing table,
" If I leave my hair like this I don't know what I'd look like in the morning you can help me put these in". I was then shown how to put rollers in. Using small plastic rollers with a foam tube in the middle to wind the hair round, following her instructions I quite quickly managed to roll all her hair. With this done she then put a brown hairnet over the rollers.
"That's a good job done, now why don't we put some in your hair so you've nice soft waves for church in the morning, you never know John will probably be there." She said with a cunning grin on her lips. I was a little taken aback at the thought of rollers in my hair but after all my other new dress experiences today I got brave and thought why not. With me sat at the dressing table with the mirror in front of me Aunt Set to work. The rollers she picked were about one inch in diameter and she soon had a damp section of my hair combed out then wound tight, I could feel if pulling slightly and it was soon followed by a lot more. It didn't take a roller veteran like Aunt long to have my head covered then came a hair net just like hers, I sat looking in the mirror what did I look like with this OAP hairnet covering the rollers and my ears, I though I looked so funny I even had a giggle for the first time in quite a wile.
Lying in bed that night felt strange what a difference a day makes. I never would have believed that morning I would ever wear cloths like I have today and even almost got used to wearing big knickers, bras and stockings and suspenders but what I hadn't yet got used to was sleeping in tight rollers and a hairnet, every time I moved my head they tugged luckily they were foam not the small plastic ones with little spikes over them that Aunt had in the box maybe they were to come.
I awoke early the next day put on my dressing gown and went down to start breakfast.
On the way down I caught sight of my self in a full length mirror at the bottom of the stairs, my rollers and especially the hairnet looked really strange and I couldn't help touching them, what would my friends say if they could see me now.
Aunt was already up and had breakfast nearly ready "I'm glad you're up early dear it will give us some time to try some clothes on before Church" she said. We ate breakfast and I couldn't help keep looking at her netted rollers knowing that I had some in just the same they still felt tight but I was getting to quite liking the feeling.
Aunt went upstairs as I cleared up and washed up; when I followed upstairs she had sorted out a pile of clothes for me to try on.
"Now then dear take off those night things and slip these on". She handed me a pair of white silky knickers that looked even bigger than yesterdays when I put them on they were like French knickers but with legs with elasticised bottoms in the mirror they looked huge.
"You've probably never worn one of these before but you'll learn the benefits after a wile." And handed me a heavy, thick all in one girdle, I put it on and Aunt zipped it up the back for me, it felt like the air had been squeezed out of me and my posture was held as straight as a rod. And if yesterday's bra gave me boobs like cones this thing made them stand out like bullets it certainly wasn't low cut natural hold. The panel sections flattened my tummy out and it was open at the bottom finishing level with my knickers legs. There was no need for a belt today as hanging from the bottom were six thick suspender straps there were some stockings on the bed these were different from yesterdays they were barely black in colour with reinforced heels and toes and a black line up the back. I rolled them on then Aunt straightened the seams for me and helped adjust the suspenders, these felt really glamorous.

I had to see this in the mirror and there I was rigidly upright wearing my hairnet still with the dark tops of my stockings showing under the girdle.
My Aunt had already removed her rollers and I was impressed by the way her hair had gone back to the immaculate curls I had seen yesterday. "Sit down and I'll get you sorted out" I was told. The net and rollers were soon removed and I had long ringlet like curls hanging down, these were wound up to produce a loose roll at the back of my neck that looked quite 60's in style, I loved it. Then a thick spraying with lacquer left it set solid.
A slip and dark pleated navy skirt that came just below my knee was the next thing on followed by a navy knit wear twin set. Back to the mirror and I just stood there almost in shock at the image before me I never would have dreamed of wearing any of this a week ago, but here I am now and I couldn't believe how special this new prim look made me feel.
The weeks past and I wasn't at all upset that my case hadn't turned up I wouldn't want to wear any of my old clothes anyway now they would have felt like they were from another life.
Life living with my Aunt was pleasant; I was now dressing like a lady not a twenty three year old chick. I had taken to wearing my long hair up nearly all the time and the rollers and net were a regular part of my grooming. John and I had been seeing a lot of each other and had become very close, Aunt thought he was great and he loved my prim dresses and skirts and my `sexy underwear' good job to as by now I was a committed stocking and girdle wearer and hadn't wore trousers since I came here.
I had a shock one evening when I arrived at the small cottage the church provided John with in the village. He was dressed in a respectable three piece suit and his surfer curls were gone replaced by a old fashioned short back and sides and the top flat with hair cream.
"What's this for" I

asked not sure yet if I liked it or not, and ran my fingers up the small bristles that were all that was left on the sides and back of his head. "I heard today that the vicar in the next parish will be leaving unexpectedly and I may be in with a chance of taking over. I had to go today at short notice to see the Bishop and I've only just got back, and so I felt it was a good idea to present myself in a respectable manner so went and got a hair cut on the way" he told me.
"Wow that's great how did you get on?" I asked.
"Well I met one of the parish's church committee today, he asked a lot about me, and I mentioned you and the fact that we are in a very happy relationship that's really progressing well, and they would like me and my girlfriend to go over for tea Wednesday, I know it's a bit forward of me bringing you into this and making assumptions about us, but I hope you don't mind, and be able to come with me". Listening to all this was so exciting and I was really pleased to find out he felt as much for me as I did for him, and looking at him now I could see he was totally different from my ex I had came to this village to put behind me and this was the real thing.
"Ill come Wednesday happily, in fact I will do any thing I can to help you. I know this must mean lot if you've had this severe a haircut for it. " I replied.
"Actually there is one thing you could do, I feel really awkward asking this and its not that I don't like it, I do, but the way you dress looks so elegant and very appropriate for this meeting and I don't want people to".
"John what are you talking about" I said laughing at him getting tongue tied.
"What I was trying to say was, would you consider having your hair cut short for this meeting"
I was taken aback a little but managed to calmly say "what did you have in mind"
"Possibly a classic ladies cut maybe a set, so that we look just right for them, I love your long hair and I know I've no right to ask you to sacrifice it just to help my career but I really want us to come across as a responsible, dependable young couple."
I took a few moments to reflect on all this. My head was spinning so I concentrated on the main points in all this, which were,
1 He was asking me to cut my hair short, at the moment it came half way down my back, I'd never had it shorter than past my shoulders before so even thinking about this was new territory to me, how much hair did he want me to loose here, and as for a set what sort of set, tight curls like Aunts or looser waves.
2 He wanted me to do this to help him move forward his career, which if our relationship moved forward would benefit me, also.
3 He must think of our relationship as a serious long term commitment or he wouldn't ask me to come with him on Wednesday.
4 Long term what would he think of me if I wouldn't do this one thing to help him, at the end of the day if I really didn't like it I could always grow it back.
After thinking it out even though I didn't want to cut my hair how could I refuse him?
I took a deep breath "I'll gladly do this for you, how short do I need to go, and when you said set do you mean you would like me to have curly hair or loose waves."
John's face lit up at my answer.
"Thank you so much for agreeing to do this, it means a lot to me, and I know this won't be easy for you and what a big sacrifice this will be. Making the right impression is going to mean having most of your hair cut off, are you really sure you want to go through with this? But I think you would look lovely with a head of short tight curls cut back off your face, around your ears and a nice clean neck line, I know this may sound drastic but you could pull the look off divinely".
I was a little taken aback at how radical a makeover he had in mind and his description made me think of my Aunts hair and that of her friends in the village, did he really want me looking the same, it appeared so. Then I though about were I could get all this change carried out. I didn't know any hairdressers in this area, the last time mine was trimmed was at a very trendy salon in the West End, and I don't think there are many of those in the nearby towns. Then it came to me my Aunt went off once a week to a salon in the next village and came back with an immaculately set head of curls and that's just the look John wants for me, I would ask Aunt for help.
"If loosing my long hair is what's needed then that is what I will do. Would it be better if I tried to get my hair permed so that the curls are very tight or would just a set so that my hair was straight most of the time be better? After all I need you to be sure that this is the look you want your girlfriend to have" I replied nervously.
"I thought about the perm before I ask you to do this but felt that was asking too much, however if your willing to be permed, a short one length tight perm, followed by a conservative tight set would be fantastic and I can't thank you enough." he said smiling.
What had I let my self in for?
When I returned Aunt Eileen was still up and I told her everything that had happened during the evening and my decision to be cropped of my long locks then I started to cry, she was very understanding and assured me I was making the right decision, as for the cut and perm she would phone her hairdresser first thing in the morning and make all the arrangements, there was nothing for me to do except face the scissors. As I went to go up stairs to bed I noticed Aunts photo album on the book shelf, I picked it up and looked at the two photos Id seen before there, was Aunt at twenty one with long flowing hair, just like I had now, then turning the page a different looking girl with a very tight permed bubble cut, I started to think this had all Johns criteria, off the face, well clear of the ears and a clean neck and very tight curls, this was it then . I made up my mind right then if I was going to have this cut I may as well go all the way and have a severe bubble cut and very tight perm, with this decision made a weight was lifted from me and I resigned my self to the fact my appearance was going to get its most radical change ever.
Monday only two days to get my hair sorted.
Aunt was already up and busy when I came down for breakfast.
"Now then dear I'll be telephoning the hairdressers in a moment, I need to know your sure about this, and exactly what you will want doing, as I don't want to mess Mrs Hood about if you start to change your mind. I will need to ask a favour of her to take you on as it is. She's semi retired now and only normally does her regulars." Aunt told me. This statement in its self made me wonder were exactly I would be going. But I had thought this though all night and now I was sure.
"Yes I'm sure about this, and I need my hair to be very tightly permed and cut in as short a bubble cut as possible leaving me with only just enough for a formal set, I also need to have a clean high neck line." I replied in a firm voice. If John wanted me to have a severe make over then that's exactly what I was going to give him with no holding back, I just hoped it was going to be exactly what he wanted, my hands were shaking as I said all this.
"Very well" said Aunt and went into the hall to use the phone.
When she returned a few minutes later she was smiling.
"That's arranged then, she's agreed to do your hair tomorrow at 12 o'clock we can shut the shop for the day and I will come with you. We can make an afternoon of it and get you an outfit for Wednesday s meeting."
It was arranged now, and as for what had I asked for was I really brave enough to have my hair cut that short, I hope so now it was arranged.
The rest of the day and most of the next morning were a blur, I had trouble concentrating on any thing and found my self clock watching and counting down the hours the closer it came the tighter my stomach felt and the less I found my self able to talk. I couldn't eat any breakfast and found my self staring at my Aunts shaven neck and hard set curls when she stood in front of me, was that what I really wanted as it was what I would be getting shortly.
"Right dear time to get your self ready, the taxi will be here shortly" instructed my Aunt. This was it then the time had come, I hung up my shop overall and went up stairs, I had already laid out my cloths for today, I took of my every day cloths and put on the big long line bra, the silky knickers with legs and a new open bottom white girdle that Id recently bought from a catalogue, it was tighter than the one Id borrowed from my Aunt and came up to just over my belly to meet were the bra finished, some dark tan stockings were soon attached to the suspenders I'd got used to attaching these now and could do all six up in no time at all. I stood in front of the mirror and looked my self over, then picking up a hair brush unpinned my hair and shook it out, it fell down past my cone shaped bust like a silky curtain, and I gave my long hair its last brush. To finish off, on went a navy pleated skirt that came just bellow my knees and a plain prim round collared blouse, I wouldn't wear my pearls today they would probably get in the way and so for the same reason took out the small pearl earrings I had been wearing. As I was now nearly ready I put on my flat soled lace up black shoes and navy jacket that matched my skirt, a silk scarf around my neck and I was ready. I spent a couple of minutes in front of the mirror running my fingers through my hair, my heart was starting to quicken with nerves when my Aunt called.
"Come down dear its almost time". I pulled my self together and went down stairs.
My Aunt had her camera ready. "Let's get a picture of you I'll take a couple before and then some after as a record for you" I stood in the small back garden and had front, side and back pictures taken, then heard the taxi arrive.
The drive into the town was uneventful; nerves had a hold of me so I couldn't have spoken in the taxi even if I wanted to. We were dropped off in the town centre and it was a short walk after that, there was a strong cold wind blowing and my hair was flying around, I saw my reflection in a shop window, and looked for a moment at the primly dressed lady with long hair flowing behind her in the wind. The salon was in the middle of a row of small shops it looked rather run down from the out side, there was just a glass door, a shop window with peeling paint work completely covered with net curtains with two faded pictures of old fashioned looking hair styles on either side and a small sign in the middle, Gala hair salon it announced. This was it then no turning back.
I followed Aunt in and the heavy smell hit me like a wall, "Hang you jacket over there on the rack and sit down, I will be with you presently."
Said the hair dresser in a commanding voice, I was immediately a little intimidated by her and did exactly as I was told.
"Come along now get with it" she briskly ordered. I heard and snapped out of my day dream; the hair dresser was stood straight in front of me holding out the gown that the old lady before me had just taken off waiting for me to put it on. I quickly get to my feet and slip my arms into this long nylon gown with pink printed flowers that had badly faded in places printed on it.
"Turn around" comes the next instruction. She gathers my long hair and lifts it up, the gown tightens around my neck and I can fell her knotting the strings at the back.
"Right over here then", she points to the left hand chair. I sit down my stockings have crinkled up slightly at the back of my knee I notice so I arrange the gown so that my knees are covered and I can place my hands on the arms of the chair.
I'm gripping the arm rest and my heart is pounding in my ears. Looking straight a head into the mirror I'm looking at my long hair for the last time.
The hairdresser turns to my Aunt. "Now then Eileen remind me what is it she's having done."
"What's needed is a old style bubble cut take off as much as possible, leaving just enough for a very tight perm, finished off with a prim formal set. She needs it back off her face and don't hold back on a nice clean shaven neck line." My Aunt answers.
This seems to please the hairdresser, but hearing it spelt out like that makes me go rigid.
"Let's get started then", she picks up a brush and I get a not very gentle brushing several times my hair is pulled as she hits a wind tangled section. I can't see much now as my hair is straight down covering my face. The brushing stops I can hear her getting things of the shelf in front of me. I feel the cold steel of scissors touch me half way up my forehead there's a schussing sound and my left eye is suddenly clear and there's an eighteen inch long section of hair lying in my lap in no time my face is fully on show.
I've now got a straight high fringe. A section is combed up from the top of my head and is soon cut off and lying on my shoulder its quickly followed by a lot more, now she's working round my left ear, my hair is being hacked off in chunks, my ears now completely exposed and I can not stop the tears coming from my eyes there running down my checks and landing on the gown. She's finished on the left and starting on the right the scissors are really going fast and it feels like she's just hacking at me, my shoulders are covered and there's a large pile in my lap, suddenly my head is shoved forward and she's chopping into the back with vigour.
"There that's you roughed out" she says.
I stair into the mirror and what's left of my hair is sticking out in tufts about two inches long were the once long tresses have been hacked off, it's a good job I'm not wearing makeup as tears roll down my face. The hairdressers picking up a small brush on the shelf, now she's brushing all the hair off me on to the floor were my once beautiful hair now lies. She gives me a tissue and in a more sympathetic voice says "Dry your eyes my girl that's the worse part over, your not the first young women to cry in that chair after being parted with their excessively long hair. Many years ago it was something they all went through, part the move from there girlish past to becoming respectable ladies, doesn't happen often enough now a days."
A grey towel is rapped around my neck. "Lets have you over here then" and I'm led to the back wash. Looking down on the floor my hair is in a circular pile around the chair my head fells light and strange when I shake it nothing moves like it did before.
I lie back in the wash chair I can feel the pull of my new girdle as I lean back. On with the water and she's shampooing me, for an old lady her hands are very strong and the shampooing is quite vigorous. I'm told to sit up again I feel this tight girdle as I move, the grey towel is rapped round my head and stepping over a pile of my cut off hair its back into the chair.
The towels taken off after a short rub and draped back over my shoulders, my hairs sticking straight out and I look a bit like a punk, bet they don't get many of those in here. Now the hairdresser has picked up a comb and the scissors again, she combs my hair out straight it looks really short now wet and flat against my head, I hope she's not going to cut much more off, I was regretting now my brave statement to my Aunt when I told her that I wanted it as short as possible and now I'm worried that I've gone to far and it will be to extreme for John. But there's nothing I can do to sop it now as the hairdresser has started to cut off even more. She's combing up sections and cutting all my hair to one short length just over an inch and a half long the hair dresser works fast and soon it's all even. I think she's finished but I'm wrong she pushes my head forward so that my chin touches my chest then comes round to the front and picks up the electric clippers from there hook, there's no plastic guard on them just the shiny chrome blades the cable is draped over my shoulder then there's a pop sound followed by a low buzzing not far from my ear, with this my heart rate really picks up and my previous worries multiply. I feel the cold metal blades pressed hard at the base of my neck, now feel them rising up and the note changes at it meets my hair, they continue to rise I'm panicking now how high is she going, then the pressure goes off but is soon reapplied again and again. The clippers are turned off, the hairdresser comes round to the shelf and hangs them back on the hook I can feel a draught on my neck, while she's there I quickly feel my neck, my hair now finishes in a straight line a inch bellow were the nape of my neck begins but my hairs been undercut and I can feel very tiny bristles right up to the bone that comes out to form the top of my neck oh my god what has she done. She comes back from the shelf with a cut throat razor in her hand my chin is pushed back down the razor opened and dragged over my freshly exposed neck.
"There young lady nothing looks better than a nice clean neck line, now were ready to sort you out some curls, I'm going to use a strong lotion on you as I want to make sure this thick hair of yours takes" and with that she went off into a store cupboard at the rear of the salon. This gave me chance to feel my now shaven neck it was strange reaching up and finding just cold skin that felt a little sore after a dry razors strokes, I ran my fingers through my short one length hair and struggled to stop my self from crying again at the thought of all that I'd just lost.
"This lotion is getting hard to get hold of now

that there all going for those soft natural perms, the suppliers tell me there's not a great deal of demand for traditional extra firm perming products now a days but luckily I've still enough stock to last for a while yet so you're in luck today" the hairdresser informed me as she wheeled over a trolley with perm rods on top.She started winding at the front with a small pink rod that are recessed in the centre to make it an even tighter curl her touch was quite rough and the rods are very tight, her fingers move quickly after years of doing these perms, securing the rubber strap hanging from the rods end I soon have a complete row running from the middle of my forehead back to my now shaven neck, I could feel every one of them pull. My left hand side quickly receives the same treatment with horizontal rows wound closely together around my temple and ear she places even smaller rods, the rest of my hair now gets the same treatment and my scalps being tugged all over now. Looking in the mirror I look strange with all these small perm rods clinging to my head.
A line of cotton wool is stuck around my hair line I can feel it high on my sensitive neck. She's got the perm lotion now and the smell of rotten eggs is over powering, the rods are soaking now at first it felt really cold but now its getting warm, the hairdressers putting a pink plastic cap over me now and secures it around the cotton wool. "Right young lady that's you ready to cook, lets get some heat on then". She walks over to one of the hood dryers and lifts the glass visor "over here then and sit you're self down", I'm instructed. I get up and go over to the dryer and sit in the well worn chair placing my head inside this contraption, the visor is lowered then she adjusts the height of the hood lowering it slightly. The fan starts, its quite noisy and I can't hear any of the conversation going on between Aunt and the hairdresser the airs not to hot but after a while the perm lotion is beginning to feel very uncomfortable and as the rollers dry out slightly they seem to tighten even more till it feels like my hairs being pulled, the smell of the lotion is all around it seems to be getting worse and now I've got a burning sensation all over my head. When will this ordeal end?
The hairdressers sweeping up and now my beautiful long hair is in one big pile, she gets down and scoops it up in her hands and dumps it in the bin, it takes three big handfuls to get it all.
Now she comes over to me and turns off the dryer the visor lifts and it's off to the sink. I'm not sorry to feel the cap being removed and the cotton wool peeled away, the luke warm water is a welcome relief from the burning of the lotion and she's spraying it over the rods. Another solutions being applied and this feels ice cold, I lay back here for a wile the cold on my scalp now feels quite a relief. "Lets see what we've got then", she announces and the rods are being pulled from my hair, she's soon got them all out in to the sink and now there's a lot of rinsing going on, "Sit your self up then" and I get my self up as quickly as my girdle will allow, a fresh towel is wrapped round my hair and the old one removed from my shoulders.
"Let's have you back over here then young lady." And it's back to the cutting chair for a third time.

I haven't seen my curls yet as I'm looking at my head covered in a towel, the towels removed and I gasp at what I see, this is a real shock, my face looks completely different it's exposed and I've no fringe just really tight curls at the top of my forehead, they're small and tight just like a poodles they skim the top of my ears and pull back exposing my temples. The curls are not completely level especially around the edges but that's about to be sorted as the hairdresser reaches for her scissors again.
My hair is being cut for the third time luckily she's not taking a lot off this time, just trimming the ends level now she's putting down the scissors that's strange I think because the edge around my ears still look a little uneven, oh no now the hairdressers picked up those clippers again and a comb. My heads being pushed over to the side and there's the pop sound followed by the low buzz, the pitch and volume change as she clips around my ear, I watch in the mirror as the curls are tapered up then she's finished one side and the other gets the same treatment. I look down and she some full tight curls lying in my lap. As she hangs the clippers back on there hook I have a full look in the mirror, oh my god my ears are completely exposed and there's white skin showing around them were the hairs been clipped away.
"Let's get you set then" she announces "I do like to see a young lady properly turned out, a good firm set will really finish you off well"
My hairs dripping now, she soaks me in setting lotion from a plastic bottle.
She's picked up a roller it's a lot smaller than the one's Aunt put in my hair when it was long, it's got small plastic spikes sticking out. A section on hair in the centre of forehead is combed up and the rollers tightly wound in, a metal pin is then stuck in to hold it in place. The rest of the row is soon in place going back to my tender neck.
Instead of the rollers at the side going in horizontally as my Aunt always did for me these were going in vertically so I had rows going over my head from side to side around the edges she used tiny rollers and my head was quickly covered. The hairdresser wasn't finished yet as even more setting lotion went onto the rollers.
I looked different in these rollers to the rollers I'd come to quite like at Aunts these look much more severe. A nets going over my head now and she's tying it at the back of my neck, this net is a lot tighter than the one I wore regularly to bed, pads are inserted over my ears, then it's back under that dryer.

The dryer's a more pleasant affair second time around I haven't got the perm solution burning my head this time, although the rollers are very tight I'm quite excited at being given a real old ladies style now I'm more used to all my hair having been cut off. I'm finding this time under the dryer quite relaxing. The hairdresser and my Aunt are sat talking I cannot hear what there talking about under here, looking round the salon again I'm amazed that I'm sat here and that I've agreed to the treatment that my once beautiful long hair has been subjected to, what will people think of me a young twenty three year old facing the world with a old ladies hair do?
Before I can think any more about this, she's coming over and turns off the dryer, up comes the visor and I'm led back to the chair.
The net is removed "we need these to cool down a little, before we finish you of." She informs me. Sitting looking at my hair in curlers it looks a lot darker now than when it was long may be its just because its rolled. I've sat for a few minutes now and she's taking the rollers out, there unwound from my hair then the curls spring back as if the rollers still in, it doesn't take long before I'm looking at my head covered in small tight dark barrels, oh this doesn't look at all good she seems to read my mind and in her commanding voice tells me "don't worry you still need to be combed out."
She picks up a long tail comb and expertly works the curls using just the tail, she teases the curls so they flow into one another I can still make out were each rollers been but the effect is very neat. When she finishes I look totally different to when I came in then I was young and attractive, now with my hair curled completely off my face and my ears very exposed I look severe and a little plain, I've aged by at least ten years this gives me a shock as I hadn't thought off this aspect when deciding on a very short bubble.
The plastic bottles picked up the same one that the old lady who was in this chair before me was sprayed from I've now got the same sort of style as her so its appropriate to be using the same lacquer, "close your eyes" comes the instruction, I do as I'm told then the lacquering starts, she really coats my hair and I can feel over spray landing on my fore head and neck. I open my eyes and my hair looks damp with lacquer and the air is full of its smell. "We'll let that go off them give you a finish coat" she says.
The bottles but down and she picks up a hand mirror and shows me the back, if the front view shocked me then I really wasn't ready for the rear view. It looked a little like a shaven bowl cut with my ears totally exposed and a step of very tight small curls forming a step running round my ears and blending at the back to be come a straight under curl running around the back of my head. My pale white neck looked very long with not a trace of hair left on it, the effect was a like my Aunts but a little more severe.
I'm a little shocked at just how the hairdresser has gone to town on me but before I can say any thing I'm getting a second coat of lacquer.
"There we are then all done" she says and gestures for me to get up. I rise up and she unties the gown and I slip it off no need to move my hair to get to the cords this time as I've none left at the back. "You look lovely dear a real lady now" my Aunt tells me. There's a full length mirror on the back wall and I look a my self in it starting with my lace up flat shoes, the dark tan stockings, the prim skirt and sensible blouse all topped of with a head a very tight short curls set and lacquered like a hard helmet, I just hope I've done the right thing and this is what John really wanted me to have done, because I was stuck with this now for a long time to come.
I paid the hairdresser and was told I would need a regular appointment for a shampoo set and neck shave just like my Aunt did.
I put my silk scarf on first, the silk felt really sensuous against my shaven neck and I found my self quite liking the feeling.
Jacket on, then we left the salon, this was a real shock and I'm not prepared for the cold blast round my tingling neck and ears my whole head feels light and cold, I've nothing to worry about from the wind as the thick layers of lacquer have set hard and not a single hair can move out of place. I touch my curls for the first time there still a little sticky from the lacquer but feel very hard and springy like a shell over my head. What on earth have I done to myself.
"Come along then dear" said Aunt and we walk off down the street.



No comments:

Post a Comment