Friday 8 July 2016

My first encounter with Janice the barberette

The sun was out today. I was on my way to the city centre of the small town I was living in. My right hand was clamping onto the $20 dollar bill in my pocket my mother had given me. Even though I was already 19 years old, my mother still gave me cash to get my hair cut at the local unisex salon.
Though it had been at least 4 months since my last haircut, I did not really want to get it cut. My mother was definitely not happy by my appearance. The words “You’re looking like a homeless person” kept ringing through my head. As I walked by a bakery I saw my own reflection in the huge windows.
I’m a thin built young man with hair well covering my ears and collar. I guess you could call me the average teenager in that sense, even though I was already 19. But you know mothers, they will always treat you like a child.
I did not agree with my mother when it came to haircuts. Unfortunately I was still living at home so I had to put up with her. After enough nagging I Finally agreed to go get a trim at least. I was still going to grow it longer, but a minor trim wouldn’t hurt the process too much.
The 20$ dollar bill was exactly enough to get it trimmed at the local unisex salon. While I was walking towards my destination I saw a small sign on the sidewalk. Janice – haircuts $10.
This must have been my lucky day, I had never seen this sign before. It must be a new shop? Well I’m not great at math but I could easily see a way to make 10 bucks without doing anything for it. Just get my hair trimmed here instead and keep the change.
As I approached the sign closer I saw an open door which lead immediately to a staircase. On the open door it said Janice Hair Salon. I did not like the fact that I couldn’t peek inside beforehand, but how bad could a haircut be?
Once I made it up the stairs I encountered a single closed door. I took a deep breath and slowly opened the door and stepped into the new environment.
The smell of hair products entered my nostrils. It was a small room with a single barbers chair which had a yellow nylon cape folded over the back. The walls were painted pink and one thing I immediately noticed was that there was no mirror placed in front of the chair. Instead there was a large mirror on the opposite wall.
While I was taking in this new environment I almost jumped as I heard a strong female voice say. “Welcome, why don’t you have a seat.”
My heart was racing all of a sudden. I nervously looked in the direction where the voice had come from.
Looking back at me was an attractive lady in her mid 30s wearing a red apron. She sat on a chair holding a magazine while eyeing me up and down.
All of a sudden I had regretted the decision to walk up those stairs. I don’t know why, but for some reason my gut was telling me this had been a mistake. I just stood there thinking of an excuse as the barberette’s eyes locked onto me. I never felt so intimidated in my life.
“Uhh… I just wondered if I could make an appointment?” I was pretty content with my quick thinking. I could just make an appointment and get the hell out of here.
“I don’t do appointments.” The dominant barberette replied while putting down her magazine and standing up from her chair.
I wasn’t a short guy but she was still a few inches taller than I was.
“Have a seat.” The predator repeated herself. This time more forceful than the first time.
I didn’t know what to do. I just stood there while trying to come up with a valid excuse.
It was only a matter of seconds before the barberette walked towards the chair and lifted the yellow nylon cape from the arm of the chair. She spun the chair to face me and slowly tapped the red aged leather on the back of the chair making an intimidating sound.
I didn’t move a muscle. I was the deer staring into the headlights of an approaching car.
The barberette tapped twice on the back of the chair and then filled the room with a loud “Next!”
I had goosebumps on my arms and butterflies swarming in my stomach. All of a sudden I noticed that my legs slowly started moving towards the chair. This wasn’t me walking towards the chair, instead it was all happening on auto pilot.
With every step the shivers on my body became more intense. More butterflies swarmed my stomach and my anxiety increased. My eyes ventured to meet my intimidator who had a big grin on her face. I would even call it a smug face. An expression somebody has when they know they were right or that they had won.
Her look frightened me and I looked away, in front of me. I was two steps away from the chair now. I could still run. If only I had the willpower to turn around and bolt out the door. But it was useless, she caught me and she knew it.
As soon as I lowered myself into the large intimidating barber chair, she spun it around to face the wall with no mirrors. The barberette tugged on the neck paper dispenser which was sitting on the cabinet mounted to that same wall. She stretched it out and fitted it snugly around my neck. The paper touching my neck was a sensational feeling.
The sound of a large piece of nylon flicking through the air helped me get even more nervous. Before I knew it everything in front of me turned yellow for a split second.
The large nylon cape settled on my body, trapping me in the chair.
The barberette fastened the cape around my neck just one snapper hole too tight making it uncomfortable and restrictive.
“Nice and snug. We don’t want any hairs to enter your shirt.” The dominant lady said while folding the neck tissue down to cover the tight seal the cape had created around my neck.
I wanted to say something, but my mouth was completely dry.
Normally I was being treated like a king by the attractive young women at the local unisex salon. She would make small talk and ask how much I wanted to get cut off. My current barberette was from a different planet. I couldn’t see what was happening behind me due to the lack of a mirror.
After a few seconds I felt her strong hand on top of my head as she started pushing my head down while saying in that same dominant voice. “Head down.”
The strong hand kept pushing until my chin touched the cold nylon material of the cape. Her hand was still firmly placed on top of my head. The next thing I hear is a loud click followed by an intimidating buzz filling up the room.
Before I have time to react her large set of clippers are already making contact with my neck and rapidly going upwards.
Trapped under a yellow nylon cape in a large barber chair.
Trapped under a yellow nylon cape in a large barber chair.
The clipper kept moving up more and more. How far was she going with these? I was finding out soon enough.
The clippers only stopped plowing through my hair once she reached the crown on top of my head. Immediately she started the next lane and shorn the exact same height.
It became clear to me that she was a professional and worked with high efficiency. Even if at this point I would speak up, it was already too late. The damage had been done.
After the aggressive barbertte had shorn the back she moved over to my left side. She placed her hand on top of my head and tilted it slightly to the right as she started moving the clippers up high on the side. I could see my hair slide down the cape towards the floor. My dark hair was in high contract with the yellow nylon cape. The hair sliding down was very long, which must have meant that she was using a very short attachment on her tormenting tool.
Once the left side was shorn the barberette continued on my right side. She followed the same procedure with her hand placed on top of my head. She firmly tilted my head to the left so she could more easily run the clippers upwards.
Now both my ears were free and no longer covered in my dark brown hair. I felt very naked at this moment.
All of a sudden the room turned silent after a loud click. She had turned the clippers off, killing the threat.
I could hear her fumbling around behind me with some plastic clicking sound. Once the new attachment was snapped onto the clippers she slightly turned the chair so I was now facing her.
In front of me stood a very attractive barberette in her mid 30s wearing a red apron. With a grin on her face, which clearly showed that she was enjoying what she was doing, she held onto the beast that would soon steal the rest of my hair and dignity.
She was just standing there holding the clippers while making eye contact with me. As soon as our eyes met I could see the pleasure in her cold eyes.
I felt a knot in my stomach and quickly looked down. I was now staring at my knees that were covered by the nylon cape, which in turn was covered by my own dark buzzed hair.
The barberette stepped towards me and used her left hand to grab my chin and lift it up.
“Now be a good boy and sit very still.” She said in a mocking tone.
I didn’t have a choice since she kept her firm grip on my chin with her cold hand as she fired up the clippers again. She placed the clipper at the front of my head and started moving them towards the back of my head. On occasion she flicked the hair up from the clippers so it was landing onto the cape and sliding down to the floor.
The clippers were turned off again and the room turned silent. In a matter minutes, which felt like an eternity, I had been completely shorn.
I was surprised by a high pitched buzzing noise which now filled the room. She had taken her trimmer and was pushing my chin back onto the cold fabric of the nylon cape. I was staring at the big pile of hair which had not made it to the floor yet.
With high precision and efficiency she trimmed the little hairs around my neckline for a nice clean cut.
Once the trimming was done the room turned silent again and the barber chair slowly started turning. She turned it until I was now facing the opposite wall with the big mirrors.
I didn’t recognize the person in the chair. There was a person sitting in the chair with very short sides. The sides were so short you could see the skin right through it. On top it was not even an inch long.
I couldn’t believe this just happened.
I wanted to wake up!
I wanted this nightmare to end!
Unfortunately there was no waking up from this shearing. The damage had been done.
The barberette standing next to the victim had a big smile on her face. After about half a minute this show case ended and she moved over to the back of the chair to undo the yellow nylon cape. The snug fit was released and I felt like I could breath again.
She removed the neck tissue and dusted off the back of my neck. She folded the cape up and let it hang on her right arm like a waiter would do with a dish towel. I slowly stood up from the chair.
“That will be $10.” the dominant barbertte said in a more friendly tone. She seemed satisfied.
I reached into the right pocked of my jeans and grabbed the $20 bill.
“Do you have anything smaller?” The barberette asked me.
“No sorry, I don’t.” I said meekly.
“Well I have no change, but with a haircut like this you need regular trims anyway.”
I looked at her puzzled while my $20 bill disappeared in the front pocket of her apron.
“I’ll keep the change so your clean up 4 weeks from now is already paid for.”
All I could bring out was a meek “Yes Ma’m.” as I walked towards the door.
“See you in 4 weeks!” The barberette yelled after me as I walked down the stairs back to safety.
Once I was back outside the sun was still out. I could feel it burn on my arms. It was a refreshing feeling. A soft breeze was making its way passed the side of my head, around my ears.
I reached up with my right hand and felt the sides and back of my head which were very short. What was I going to tell me friends at school? What would my mother say?
Never again would I try to save money on a haircut, that was for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment